How to Identify Your Skin Type: "The Bare-Face Method"
Everybody’s skin is different and unique, which makes finding the right skin regimen to help achieve your skincare goals difficult. My job is to make it easier for you!
The first step in perfecting your skincare regimen is to identify your skin type and assess your concerns accordingly. There are five primary skin types:
A very common way to determine your skin type is to use the “bare-face method.” This method allows you to carefully observe your skin without any skincare products interfering with its natural look. You begin by washing your face with an every-day mild cleanser. Once this is done, you gently pat dry your face with a soft towel and wait 30 minutes. Then you observe your skin and ask yourself the following questions:
- Does your skin appear tight with some flaky areas? If yes, you most likely have a dry skin type.
- Do your cheeks and t-zone appear shiny? If yes, you most likely have an oily skin type.
- Does your skin appear to have an unbalanced mix of oil and dryness? If yes, you most likely have a combination skin type.
- Does your skin appear red and slightly uncomfortable? If yes, you most likely have a sensitive skin type.
- Did you respond “no” to questions 1-4? If yes, you most likely have a normal skin type.
If you are still unsure of your skin type or having a difficult time determining the best routine based on your skin type’s needs, do not worry! You can access the chat feature on our website and I can personally help identify your skin type and we can discuss a routine that best suits your skin.
- Teri Medina, Licensed Medical Esthetician